Okay, I mentioned this in a comment on a blog post today (original post here) and it gave me an incredible idea. Here's my original comment:
Of course, that got me to thinking… What SFF characters would you like to see battling it out atop the Empire State Building, and would pay physical money to see fighting there? Because let's face it, any battle atop the Empire State is traditionally a movie-climax scene. Feel free to let your imaginations go crazy. We are unlimited by budget here, since ideas are cheap. The only rule: you have to actually want to pay actual money (made out of money) to see them fighting up there.Ned Stark and King Arthur battling atop the Empire State Building… YES. I would pay money to see that. Like, actual money made out of money.
Here's my personal favorite ideas:
1. Doctor Manhattan, the blue god-like superbeing from Watchmen, vs. Xykon, the epic-level lich-sorcerer in Rich Burlew's webcomic Order of the Stick. This seems like it would be an incredible battle, one that would break the special-effects budget for all time to come. Both are near-omnipotent superbeings, and plus, Xykon has quite a witty, debonair sense of humor. So you'd get some great one-liners.
2. A Link-Zelda tag team against Ganondorf, Prince of Darkness. This would be great because not only are the Zelda games my favorite game series, but the Empire State Building seems like it would make an excellent stage in Super Smash Brothers, which would be incredibly fun to watch. Which brings me to my next one…
3. The entire cast of Super Smash Brothers: Brawl. Because there's no kill like overkill. Oh, and this one isn't a team battle. It's a battle royale. All items are turned on, including final smashes.
4. The crew of Serenity versus the Millenium Falcon. This would be excellent. Both teams get their ships, but they are restricted to a region between 20th and 42nd streets (the area around the Empire State Building). And Serenity gets an upgrade of a laser cannon, because everyone knows there ain't guns on a transport ship. Otherwise the battle would be unfair.
5. Gandalf vs. the Balrog. 'Nuff said.
I turn the conversation over to you. What would you pay money to see?